Obtaining a Criminal Records Certificate for Tier 2 visa applicants

  • October 08, 2019

In this article we focus on the process of obtaining a Criminal Records Certificate for Tier 2 visa, a crucial document to arrange for a successful visa application. We'll consider the following:

What is a Criminal Records Certificate?

An essential part to any Tier 2 visa application – the Criminal Records Certificate (CRC) can also be known as a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC).

A Criminal Records Certificate is a document confirming an individuals’ criminal record. It will include any past offences and information relating to recent arrests or further action such as prosecution. The certificate will of course confirm a clean record.

Applying for a CRC can take some time, so we advise you to apply as soon as possible to avoid delays to your visa application and in turn starting your first NHS post.

How do I know if I need one?

Anyone applying to work in the health and social care sectors will need one.

As of April 2017, any Tier 2 visa applicants and any adult dependents are required to provide a criminal record certificate from each country they have lived in consecutively for 12 months or more in the last 10 years.

As a result, you may need to apply for multiple CRCs depending on your travel movements over the last 10 years.

How do I apply for a Criminal Records Certificate?

It is usually issued by the police or by an appropriate law enforcement agency, please note it can be named slightly differently in different countries (see some examples in list below).

If you cannot find the information you need, we would advise you to get in touch with the countries local police station. Alternatively, your IMG Connect consultant will be on hand to help so do not hesitate to get in touch.

What if I can’t get a Criminal Records Certificate from a particular country? 

The home office does understand that some countries do not have police systems currently able to provide a criminal records certificate.

In such cases you will need to provide a satisfactory explanation about why you have not provided one, if not provided your visa application will be refused.

I received my Criminal Records Certificate – what next?

Assuming your CRC has come back with no offense present, you will need to upload these certificates as part of your online visa application for the UK Home Office.

For more useful articles on UK visas, immigration & relocation arrangements to help you and your family settle into your new life in the UK - take a look at our IMG Library.

Don’t hesitate to get in touch with your IMG Consultant with any further questions on UK visas and immigration including certificates of sponsorship, letters of maintenance, criminal record checks and tier 2 visa applications.

Connect with us

Send your CV to info@imgconnect.co.uk 

Call us on +44 (0)203 973 0133

Join our growing IMG community!


Search Vacancies

Ask a question

Check your salary

error: Content is protected !!